Due to the Covid-19 Pandemic the Awards of Excellence for 2020 have been cancelled, for further information please see our news release.
Awards of Excellence 2020
The AustStab Awards of Excellence celebrate leading practice and innovation in pavement recycling and stabilisation as well as the emergence of new talent in the industry. The Awards are issued annually at the AustStab AGM and Conference, which this year will be held at the Novotel Brighton Beach, Sydney NSW on Wednesday 29th July.
Award categories are:
- Work Health and Safety
- Industry Excellence in Consulting, Research or Education
- Excellence in Sustainability
- Excellence in Recycling and Stabilising Pavements in Local Government
- Young Stabiliser of the Year
How to Enter
Nomination for an AustStab Award of Excellence is a two-stage process, following the steps outlined below. Entrants making submissions that do not meet the requirements set out in this document will be requested to resubmit their application. If the entrant cannot complete the resubmission prior to the closing date, the submission may not be accepted.
Stage 1 – Submission of entries
Entries may be submitted using the online form, click here – entry submission will be open between the 24th February 2020 and 3rd April 2020.
Pro-forma entries will require the following information:
- Entry title as it should appear on the award,
- Name of the entrant and contact details,
- Names of key contributing staff,
- Category of Award being submitted, and
- A brief synopsis (no more than 300 words) detailing the objectives of the initiative being proposed, the operating environment or context and how that affects the initiative, and any specific challenges that were encountered in the implementation of the initiative.
An initial judging round will take place to determine the finalists – all entrants will be advised of the status of their entry by the 17th April 2020.
Stage 2 – Finalists’ submissions
All finalists will be required to provide a more detailed outline of their submission in a short, annotated PowerPoint presentation using a supplied template (max. of 5 slides).
Finalists’ presentations will be required to be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by the 22nd May 2020. Presentations should include the following information:
- Entry title and submitting organisation,
- An overview and objectives of the initiative,
- A description of the initiative undertaken,
- A description of the operating environment or context and how that affects the initiative,
- Any specific challenges that were encountered in the implementation of the initiative,
- Any other key points of interest about the initiative,
- Evidence of success, particularly describing what aspects clearly demonstrate excellence beyond normal day-to-day operations,
- Supporting data, including audit data, cost analyses, customer experience survey results, design documentation, or any other information that will help the judges understand the impact of the initiative,
- Demonstration of evidence of the initiative in practical use,
- Supporting graphical, image or video content.
A second judging round will take place to determine those entries considered to be Highly Commendable and the Category Winners.
Awards will be presented at the AustStab Awards Dinner to be held on Wednesday 29th July 2020 in Sydney.
Category 1 – Work Health and Safety
The Work Health and Safety award recognises excellence in the following general areas specific to application within the pavement recycling and stabilisation industry:
- Workplace health and safety management systems,
- Solutions to identified workplace health and safety issues, and
- Workplace health and safety practices in small business.
Category 2 – Industry Excellence in Consulting, Research or Education
This award recognises outstanding achievements in design, research or education associated with pavement recycling and stabilisation that will provide new ways of conducting or promoting sustainable pavement construction and rehabilitation processes.
Category 3 – Excellence in Sustainability
The Excellence in Sustainability award targets initiatives that demonstrate outstanding economic, social and environmental sustainability in pavement recycling and stabilisation. Nominations in this category should demonstrate how sustainable practices have led to the development, conservation and preservation of the environment, or have benefited economic or social outcomes. This could include recycling of construction materials or household waste, or reduction in greenhouse gas emissions through the use of recycled materials. Nominations should also outline a brief overview of other alternatives considered and the benefits and costs associated with each.
Category 4 – Excellence in Pavement Recycling and Stabilisation in Local Government
This award is specifically aimed at Local Government initiatives that have adopted innovative pavement recycling and stabilisation practices and that have resulted in better outcomes for Local Government constituents.
Category 5 – Young Stabiliser of the Year
Award nominees in this category shall be aged 35 years or less at the time of the AustStab Awards Dinner on the 28th July 2020 and be pavement recycling and stabilisation professionals or field staff who have:
- Realised competence and significant achievement in pavement recycling and stabilisation,
- A demonstrated understanding of the role and purpose of pavement recycling and stabilisation in the construction industry, and
- Have demonstrated proficient use of communication skills in stabilisation projects.
Entry is open to Australian private and public organisations. Entrants do not need to be members of AustStab to be eligible, however contractors must be accredited contractors, or be in the process of achieving accreditation, in accordance with the AustStab/ARRB Accreditation Scheme.
AustStab will assess all entries for conformance with the criteria outlined in this document.
A judging panel will be nominated by the AustStab Council.
Award Process Timing
A summarised outline of the AustStab Awards of Excellence process and times is provided below.
- Entries for the awards open on the 24th February 2020.
- Award entries close on the 3rd April 2020.
- Finalists will be notified on the 17th April 2020.
- Finalists’ submissions to be made by 22nd May 2020.
- Finalists, Highly Commendable entries and Winners will be announced at the AustStab Awards Dinner on the 28th July 2020.